Saturday, May 14, 2011

24

Tis the mark where you begin to feel "old." After the hubbub of college and postgrad "freedom" has died down a bit, where people say it's the beginning of a lifelong downhill (for females at least), when your friends start getting hitched left and right, and when King Taco hot sauce decides my stomach is now an enemy.

Is it strange that in my mid-twenties, I still feel like I'm barely a teenager? Despite all that God has given me to experience and feast on, I'm definitely not at the place I imagined to be at this age. The more I learn and see of this world, the more doubtful I become of myself. There's so much out there and I try to imbibe as much of the good as I can without entirely neglecting the unpleasant, but this leads to feeling like I'm being pulled in so many directions. And leads me right back to square one.

Which makes me so thankful of the fact that if I've grabbed onto anything, it's this - that there's nothing I can do on my own. I am the second man. Following right behind Jesus is where I need to be. And nothing else in this fleeting world can ever dare to compare. Here's to another year of dropouts, failures, and "not what I thought it was"-es! I eagerly look forward to them because realizing that GOD IS... is so sweet.



"I wrote this song near the end of my 24th year on this planet. Wherever we run, wherever the sun finds us when he rises, we remain stuck with ourselves. That can be overwhelming. Sometimes I feel like my soul is polluted with politicians, each with a different point of view. With all 24 of them in disagreement, each voice is yelling to be heard. And so I am divided against myself. I feel that I am a hypocrite until I am one, when all of the yelling inside of me dies down. I've heard that the truth will set you free. That's what I'm living for: freedom of spirit. I find unity and peace in none of the diversions that this world offers. But I've seen glimpses of truth and that's where I want to run."

- Jon Foreman

No comments: